Katherine Golden, Sponsorship Manager
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Friday, April 1, 2011
Save the Children has sponsorship programs in over twenty countries in five regions of the world! Our Culture Snapshot series highlights unique elements of local culture from each of the regions our sponsorship programs operate in. We hope you enjoy and will visit again in the coming weeks to learn about each region.Check out our last post "Culture Snapshot: Bolivian Music"
This is a fun meal for the family to make together. Caeleigh, a sponsored child, says, “I love to help my mom in the kitchen. We make enchiladas for our family together.”
• 3-5 chicken breasts, boneless
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 2 Tbsp. margarine
• 1 10 oz. can cream of chicken soup
• 1 10 oz. can cream of mushroom soup
• 1 ¾ cups frozen chopped green chili, drained
• ½ cup broth saved from chicken
• 1 12 ct. pkg. corn tortillas
• 1 lb. cheese, grated (cheddar, jack or mixture)
1. Boil chicken, cool and shred breasts with a fork or your fingers. Be sure to save the broth the chicken boiled in.
2. Preheat oven to 325º F.
3. Sauté onion in margarine until slightly soft. Combine onion with soups, chili, broth and stir.
4. Tear 6 tortillas into small pieces and cover the bottom of a 9” x 13” pan. Spread ½ the chicken over the tortilla pieces, then ½ the sauce, and ½ the cheese. Repeat for several layers until you use up all your ingredients.
5. Bake 30-40 minutes, until very hot, bubbly and slightly browned.
6. Serve and enjoy! Makes eight to ten 8 oz. servings.
In next week's Culture Snapshot we head to Bangladesh to learn how to play the game Carom!
Interested in joining our community of sponsors? Click here to find out more.